Tuesday 20 October 2015

Are Student Podcasts worth the time?




I learn so much from podcasts. One of the best things about them is that you can listen to them anytime and anywhere and there are so many different topics to suit the kind of listening you are in the mood for.
While I see how Podcasts work well as teacher products to frame learning, reference outlier issues, draw attention to different applications,  and  the list goes on, I was more interested to explore student podcasts because of the heavy time investment in the production process. Are they worth the time they take to produce? 

Aside from producing content, I think what sets podcasts apart as a medium of production is that in making these, students are actively gaining better fluency with software as it informs technology use today. In developing a podcast, students  learn about formats, converting abilities, file sizes and capacities, audio and video characteristics and compatibilities- all excellent foundation for users who will need to know this intuitively if they are going to be optimally functional and/ or transform the digital software landscape for their generation.

The podcast creation process may seem arduous and even daunting at first, but we know how quickly digital natives take to technology challenges. A 'hole in the wall'  project in india found that with no instruction whatsoever, a computer in a hole in the wall in a slum community, quickly drew in children who  taught themselves how to use it -with all its myriad functions. I love this example because it speaks to the ingenious spirit of the learner. And as a teacher it tells me that my students are capable of stretches that I may not imagine possible. 

Make time for student podcasts and start  working on that next technology that will stretch them.. :)







4 comments:

  1. I like listening to podcasts too. I can listen to them anywhere and because there are so many, it's easy to find one that suits my particular mood at any given time.

    Because of the amount of time it takes to create a podcast, do you think it is more beneficial for the students to create a podcast or listen to one that we create as teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like podcasts because it favors the students with an audio learning style. While I do agree it takes time to develop a quality podcast, I feel students would tell a different story. Students of this generation were born into this technical world. In my teaching experiences, I have never seen a student back away from a technology challenge. They have no problem spending hours to create something if it includes technology. Maybe the perception is generational. As a 48 year old I become very anxious if a project takes longer than I deem necessary. The frustration may include learning the technical aspect before starting the project work. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Duanne. Nicely said.

      Delete
  3. Emilie, I see the teacher Podcast as the reading piece ( text/article etc) and the student led podcasts like the essay part. By letting students respond in the same media as what they are receiving info on, the implicit message is that they can participate/produce in any format or forum.

    ReplyDelete